A man wanted in connection with the killing of four people in Hampton, Ga., was fatally shot by police on Sunday, the authorities said.
The man, Andre Longmore, 40, was found around 12 miles north of the city, where he was chased down by officers on Sunday afternoon, and he returned fire before he was “neutralized,” Sheriff Reginald B. Scandrett of Henry County, said at a news conference.
“The monster is dead,” Sheriff Scandrett said, noting that two officers had also been injured in the gunfire, and that one of them, who was shot in the back, had been flown to the hospital, where he was conscious and talking. “The entire state of Georgia can breathe a little easy tonight. The suspect is off the street,” he said.
The shootout ended a manhunt for Mr. Longmore that lasted more than 24 hours after the fatal shootings of four people in the city of Hampton, roughly 35 miles south of Atlanta, on Saturday morning.
The shooting occurred sometime between 10:45 a.m. and 10:55 a.m. in a residential neighborhood, Chief James Turner of the Hampton Police said at the news conference.
The four people killed, Mr. Turner said, were Scott Leavitt, 67; his wife, Shirley Leavitt, 66; Steve Blizzard, 65, and Ronald Jeffers, 66. The Levitts and Mr. Blizzard resided on Dogwood Lakes Drive, and Mr. Jeffers, on Dogwood Ridge Drive, he said. It is not known whether they had any connection to the gunman. His motive also remains unknown.
Following the shooting, law enforcement agencies across the Atlanta metropolitan area were searching for Mr. Longmore, who was last seen driving a black GMC Acadia S.U.V. The chief said the vehicle did not belong to Mr. Longmore.
The sheriff’s office had offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to his arrest and prosecution, the sheriff said.
“The last 36 hours have been very sad and surreal for this community,” Alex Cohilas, the city manager, said at the news conference. “Yesterday will certainly go down as one of the saddest in the 150-year history of this city.”